Museums, galleries and archives are often only able to display a small portion of their extensive collection – not enough place on the walls, elaborate conservation requirements, escalating expenses with regard to print catalogue production… Plural’s Interactive Research Table enables these treasures see the light of day!
The Plural Research Table is a Touch Screen – just like a tablet, but much larger. It enables dynamic sorting of your museum archive – like sorting an interactive philately collection with a magnifying glass. Visitors can navigate through the extensive collection with their fingertips. Prior computer knowledge is not necessary. All one needs is the enthusiasm to discover.
• Interactive presentation of extensive archival inventory that is otherwise inaccessible to visitors.
• Presentation of an exhibit in diverse contexts:
Time and location data of artists, clients and institutions are shown to the user in an easily comprehensible display.
• An intuitive and elegant user interface:
High user acceptance through easily accessible multi-touch technology and intuitive interface design.
• Award-winning interface design:
iF Gold Award 2012, European Design Award Gold 2012
With the ability to visualise objects comprehensively within their context and in relation to others, this intuitive touch screen device thrills not only museum enthusiasts but the curators alike, who are closely involved with the content and enables them to discover new perspectives easily. The observer not only gets to see a fascinating network of works, artists, artist groups and locations, but also the relationships between the exhibits and other objects, providing depth and clarity of perception.
• Operates with an existing archive database or with newly entered data.
• Easily comprehensible administrative interface for editing the content via web interface or iPad facilitates the integration of external staff members.
• Multimedia enhancement enabled, e.g. with label and exhibit texts in multiple languages, audio data, movies or 360° panoramas.
• Optional mobile app development for tablets and smartphones (iPad, iPhone, iOS, Android) to be used at trade fairs or as museum guides.
• Automatised production of catalogues, object labels and display texts for exhibitions in accordance with corporate design.
Since 2005 Plural has been developing cutting-edge communication design, strategies and campaigns. Our clients are institutions and organisations in the fields of science, art, research and media. We deliver aesthetic, functional and reliable intermedia solutions.
During the conception and development of the Plural Research Table we harnessed our years of experience in information design, interface design and interaction design as also our competence in communication consulting for fairs and museums. Apart from our expertise in concept, design and development, we provide an additional range of services from content entry to maintenance contracts.
What is important to us: Digital media are not an end in itself – as little as other media. We constantly look back at the years of experience and insights we gathered from the analog information design and weigh each media choice from that perspective. The concept of the Plural Research Table sets a milestone for us in the paradigm shift in the visual communication realm. It provides a clear evaluation of data in such a compact and clear manner, which no other medium is capable of, hence enabling the development of new ways of thinking and perceiving.
Our work recently has been honoured with the following prizes: European Design Gold Award 2012, European Design Bronze Award 2012, Good Design Award 2012, iF Gold Award 2012, iF Award 2012, Red Dot Award 2011.